WHO ARE WE?
The Alpha Club is a sociocultural and philanthropic organization founded in 1968 by distinct gentlemen with the following aims and objectives.
- To breed young gentlemen into responsible and respectable citizens, acquainting them with charitable works and other activities which foster peace in our immediate and larger world.
- To promote, support and strive for academic excellence.
- To promote sociocultural and sporting activities.
The Alpha club is the oldest existing club on the Obafemi Awolowo University campus and has gathered recognition for its deeds and activities and kindness towards humanity.
Meet Our Team
The Alpha Club is a sociocultural and philanthropic organization founded in 1968. We are the oldest existing club on the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) campus and we are renowned for our charitable acts towards humanity’s the OAU community with activities such as:
- Annual Charity Week, including a campus-wide blood donation to the National Blood Bank with 10,000+ pints of blood donated since inception. For over 3 decades, the blood donation activity has consistently helped fill the blood banks of O.A.U THC, National Blood Transfusion Service NBTS, University Teaching Hospital UTH, and Lagos University Teaching Hospital LUTH with an average of 700pints collected every year.
- Inter-university Oratory Competition: OAU is the most recent winner .
- Inter-hall Football Competion: Awo Hall is the most recent winner.
- The Alpha Club fashion and photography week.
The Lord Mayor’s Staff of Office was created under the Mayorship of Mayor Tunde Ohu in 1973 and is in use till today. It consists of carved in inscriptions and can only be wielded by His Eminence the Lord Mayor.
The Mayor’s Regalia was created under the Mayorship of Mayor Adesegun Fatusi in 1987. The original Mayor’s Regalia was replaced in 1997 under Mayor Oladimeji Fabiyi.
The current Alpha Constitution was created decades ago and was last amended in 1998 under the Mayorship of Mayor Sheye Fatoyinbo. The Alpha constitution is the guideline to which all Alphites must conduct themselves in the Club and society at large. This Alpha constitution is exclusive to members only and it is handed to them upon their induction into the club.
The Alpha Club Mace is one of the oldest existing club properties. It is used in Club formal events and is only accessible by the Bugle of the club who will wields the mace and will be found standing by the right hand side of his Eminence the Lord Mayor.
The Alpha Insignia is an item reserved strictly only for members. It is worn by Great ones and it completes the Clubs formal dressing. This item is returned should a member ever be dismissed from the club.
The Alpha Secretariat in Fajuyi Hall has been occupied by the Great Alpha Club since 1996 under the Mayorship of Mayor Thomas Akagbosu. The secretariat address; The Secretariat, 1st floor, Block 3, Adekunle Fajuyi Hall, OAU